17 April 2010

Labs, labs, labs...

So I'm sitting here at Sweetwaters grading some labs. Students had to go to a few different stations and do mini-experiments.

This is the first lab that I gave them lab roles: equipment managers kept track of the time, and data managers made sure data was consistent between partners. Students had one night to complete the lab.

My questions for you all out there:

1. How can I get the idea that "data manager" is not the same role as "person to be copied off of by all"?

2. Do you think the amount of time they had to collaborate (one night) was an issue? It's kind of classroom policy (set up at the beginning of the year) to only have one day to do things (fyi).

1 comment:

  1. Tracy, re #1, perhaps it's just a good reminder that you need to delineate (and it's hard...) between the nature of the roles through illustrations. For myself, when I have these kind of moments I usually find myself needing to spell out in more detail (which typically involves me pushing to more fully articulate my vision) how someone who *isn't* a data manager would be interacting with the data. This is tricky, but I think that fleshing this out can really serve you well, as true group work (which is a skill to be developed) is a beautiful thing. Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete